- The Year of the Euro: The Cultural, Social and Political Import of Europe’s Common Currency. (Co-edited with Anthony Messina). University of Notre Dame Press, 2006.
- Democracy’s Voices: Social Ties and the Quality of Public Life in Spain. Cornell University Press, 2004.
- Working-Class Organization and the Return to Democracy in Spain. Cornell University Press, 1990.
- Selected articles and book chapters:
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of any article below without a linked .pdf
- Robert M. Fishman, Carlos Gervasoni and Keely Jones Stater, “Inequality and the Altruistic Life: A Study of the Priestly Vocation Rate” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 54: 575-595.
- “Networks and Narratives in the Making of Civic Practice: Lessons from Iberia” in Jennifer Girouard and Carmen Sirianni (eds.), Varieties of Civic Innovation: Deliberative, Collaborative, Network and Narrative Approaches. Vanderbilt University Press, 2014, (.pdf)
- Democracy and Markets: Notes on a Twenty-First Century Paradox” in Daniel Brinks, Marcelo Leiras and Scott Mainwaring (eds.), Reflections on Uneven Democracies: The Legacy of Guillermo O’Donnell. (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2014).
- Robert M. Fishman and Omar Lizardo, “How Macro-historical Change Shapes Cultural Taste: Legacies of Democratization in Spain and Portugal” in American Sociological Review (Volume 78, N2, April 2013)
— Winner of Tilly Prize for Best Article, Section on Comparative and Historical Sociology, ASA.
- “The Iberian Divergence in Political Inclusion” in Pedro Alcantara da Silva and Filipe Carreira da Silva (eds.). Ciencias Sociais: Vocacao e Profissao. Homenagem a Manuel Villaverde Cabral. (Imprensa de Ciencias Sociais, 2013). (.pdf)
- “Anomalies of Spain’s Economy and Economic Policy-making” in Contributions to Political Economy. (Volume 31, 2012)
- “On the Significance of Public Protest in Spanish Democracy” in Jacint Jordana, Vicenc Navarro, Frencese Pallarés and Ferran Requejo (eds.), Deomocràcia, Politica i Societat; Homenatge a Rosa Virós. (Universitat Pompeu Fabra and Avenc, 2012).(.pdf)
- “Revisiting ‘Paths Toward Redemocratization'” in Scott Mainwaring and Doug Chalmers (eds.), Problems Confronting Contemporary Democracies: Essays in Honor of Aldred Stepan. (University of Notre Dame Press, 2012). (.pdf)
- “Democratic Practice after the Revolution: The Case of Portugal and Beyond” in Politics & Society. (Volutem 39, N2, June 2011).
- “Rethinking the Iberian Transformations: How Democratization Scenarios Shaped Labor Market Outcomes” in Studies in Comparative International Development, V45(281-310), 2010.
- “On the Costs of Conceptualizing Social Ties as Social Capital” Chapter three in Viva Bartkus and Jim Davis, (eds.), Social Capital: Multidisciplinary Perspectives. Edward Elgar Press, 2009. (.pdf)
- “Civic Engagement and Church Policy in the Making of Religious Vocations: Cross-National Variation in the Evolution of Priestly Ordinations.” With Keely Jones, Chapter six in Giuseppe Giordan (ed.), Vocation and Social Context. Brill Academic Publishers and Association for the Sociology of Religion, 2007. (.pdf)
- “Triumphs, Failures and Ambiguities in Democratization: Juan Linz and the Study of Regime Change” Chapter Two in Joan Marcet and José Ramón Monetero (eds.) Roads to Democracy: a Tribute to Juan J. Linz. Institut de Ciències Politiques I Socials, Barcelona, 2007. (.pdf)
- “On Being a Weberian (After Spain’s March 11 – 14): Notes on the Continuing Relevance of the Methodological Perspective Proposed by Weber” Chapter eleven in Laurence McFalls (ed.), Max Weber’s “Objectivity” Revisited. University of Toronto Press, 2007. (.pdf)
- “Shaping, not Making, Democracy: the European Union and the post-authoritarian political transformation of Spain and Portugal” in South European Society and Politics, V8 (1-2), 2003.
—Also in: Sebastian Royo and Paul Manuel (eds.), From Isolation to Integration: Fifteen Years of Spanish and Portuguese Membership in Europe, Frank Cass, 2003.
- “Workplace Leaders and Labour Organisation: Limits on the Mobilisation and Representation of Workers” co-authored with Carol Mershon, in International Contributions to Labour Studies, N3, 1993. (.pdf)
- “Rethinking State and Regime: Southern Europe’s Transition to Democracy” in World Politics. V42(3), April 1990. (.pdf)